James Bostwick is one of the most respected medical malpractice and personal injury lawyers in the nation. As Founder of Bostwick & Peterson, he’s cultivated a reputation as a top-tier specialist in catastrophic malpractice cases and has secured numerous record-setting verdicts and settlements.
Representing the Injured Across the Nation
Bostwick holds his main office in San Francisco, CA, and practices in courts throughout California, Hawaii, Colorado, Oklahoma, Nevada, Washington, Florida, Arizona, and beyond. He is one of a few lawyers in the U.S. deemed a Certified Medical Malpractice Specialist by the American Board of Professional Liability.
One of California's Most Recognized Personal Injury Attorneys
Held in high regard by his peers, Bostwick has earned widespread recognition from many organizations. He is a member of the Inner Circle of Advocates, an invite-only organization limited to the top 100 plaintiffs’ lawyers in the U.S. (and considered the most exclusive trial lawyer organization in the world), the International Academy of Trial Lawyers (Top 500 trial lawyers in the US), American Board of Trial Advocates, and the Lawdragon 500. He’s been named to Best Lawyers in America every year since its inception in 1983, rated among the Top 4 Trial Lawyers by the California Bar Journal, and featured in Newsweek, Town and Country, and Forbes as one of America’s top trial lawyers.
A Legacy of Record-Setting Results
Bostwick has spent more than 50 years specializing in complex medical malpractice and personal injury law and has set the bar for litigating some of the most complex and high-stakes cases in the country. He and the firm have set and broken many records – many of them his own.
In 1979, Bostwick obtained the largest medical malpractice verdict in U.S. history, and spent the years since setting state and national records for high-value recoveries in legal malpractice, birth injury, and other personal injury claims.
Since January 2018, the firm has twice broken the State of California record for largest medical malpractice verdicts or settlements:
- In early 2018, Attorney Bostwick and the firm obtained a $14M malpractice settlement just before trial over a neonatal brain injury. At the time, the result was the largest present value settlement in California history for a case that had not been tried to verdict.
- In May 2019, Co-Founder Erik Peterson reached a $17M birth injury settlement over brain damage during pregnancy – the largest medical malpractice present value result (settlement or verdict) in state history.
In the past several years alone, Bostwick and the firm have secured additional high-value settlements in complex birth injury, medical malpractice, and personal injury claims ranging from $5 million to $11+ million. These settlement amounts reflect “present value,” rather than “payout” calculations which inflate the true value of case results.
Verdicts & Settlements
- $7.6M – Largest medical malpractice verdict in the U.S. at the time (1978).
- $6.4M – Largest legal malpractice verdict for an individual in California at the time (1984).
- $8.9M – Largest birth injury award against the U.S. Government in the US Federal Court at the time. (Hawaii, 1985)
- $11M – Largest injury settlement in Hawaii history at the time (2000).
- $21M – Record verdict for a mild traumatic brain injury, auto/truck accident. (2000)
- $11.4M – Largest California birth injury settlement at the time. (2010)
- $14M – Largest California medical malpractice settlement at the time. (2018)
- $17M – Largest California medical malpractice settlement to date. (2019)